Urban policy and scaling up the city required drastic action. Many districts of Moscow today stand on the site of old cemeteries, and real estate there is worth millions. Understanding which metropolitan quarters stand on the bones in the literal sense of the word /2022/06/efda6dd6e9d0213711a26bcbbb8362b4.jpg” />
Moscow is the most densely populated city in Russia and one of the major metropolitan areas in the world. In terms of the beauty of architecture, it is not inferior to European capitals, but in its past (and present) there are many dark spots. Not everyone knows that many Moscow buildings were built on the site of former cemeteries – they were demolished during the expansion of districts and the renovation of the city's development. It is difficult to enumerate all the buildings erected on the burial sites in the capital. We will tell you about four elite districts of Moscow, where houses are literally built on bones. /uploads/2022/06/5465194af3453c58d2d114e21da35014.jpg” width=”728″ height=”485″ class=”lazy-image__image _align-center” data-v-64ca9b5a=”1″ alt=”Elite Moscow houses built on the spot cemeteries” />View of Kutuzovsky Prospekt.
The content of the article:
- 1 Kutuzovsky Prospekt
- 2 Manezhnaya SquareManege with cars. Exhibition of 1872. There used to be a cemetery on the site of modern Manezhnaya Square. In the middle of the 16th century, Ivan the Terrible founded the cemetery of the Moiseevsky Monastery near the walls of the Kremlin. A graveyard appeared nearby, which was closed in 1771 due to a plague epidemic. Gradually, the monks began to be evicted, and soon the monastery was dismantled. View of the fountains near the Manezh and Manege Square. Sokol
- 3 Avtozavodskaya
The neighborhood of Kutuzovsky Prospekt is one of the most expensive residential areas in Moscow. In its front part, built up in the 1950s and 60s, there are houses in which only wealthy people can afford apartments. This trend has been going on since the days of the party elite, who fell in love with housing with a view of the Moscow River and proximity to the central streets of the city.Kutuzovsky Prospekt, house number 26, where Leonid Brezhnev and the party elite lived.
The high status of the district was also facilitated by the fact that Secretary General Leonid Brezhnev lived in house No. 26 on Kutuzovsky Prospekt for more than 10 years. This house was built specifically for the head of the country and close officials. Brezhnev lived on the fourth floor, and above him, on the fifth floor, another prominent Soviet politician, Yury Andropov, settled. They say that loopholes for snipers were made in his four-room apartment with an area of 150 m2. The size of Brezhnev's apartment reached 300 m2, the fourth part of the housing of the head of government was occupied by a medical office.The Church of St. Elisabeth at the Dorogomilovsky cemetery.
However, few people know that on the site of Brezhnev's house there used to be the Church of St. Elizabeth, built near the Dorogomilovsky cemetery. The wooden temple of the end of the 18th century was replaced by a stone building by 1839.
Back in 1812, soldiers who died in the Russian-French war were buried at the Dorogomilovsky cemetery. Moreover, both Russian and French soldiers were buried there. Prior to this, the cemetery served as a burial place outside the city limits of the Kamer-Kollezhsky Wall of thousands of citizens who died in 1771 from the plague. Then the so-called “Plague Riot” broke out, and Empress Catherine II ordered a cemetery near the Dorogomilovskaya Zastava in the west of Moscow.Dorogomilovskoye and Jewish cemetery.
And at the beginning of the last century, scholars, politicians and artists began to be buried at the Dorogomilovskoye cemetery. For example, the famous artist Isaac Levitan was buried there. Even now, some Muscovites live on Kutuzovsky Prospekt and do not suspect that their houses are literally built on bones.
Dorogomilovskoye cemetery on a map of Moscow in the 19th century
Manezhnaya SquareManege with cars. Exhibition of 1872.
There used to be a cemetery on the site of modern Manezhnaya Square. In the middle of the 16th century, Ivan the Terrible founded the cemetery of the Moiseevsky Monastery near the walls of the Kremlin. A graveyard appeared nearby, which was closed in 1771 due to a plague epidemic. Gradually, the monks began to be evicted, and soon the monastery was dismantled.
Moiseevskaya Square near the Manege. 1914.
Already in the 1930s, a road was built on the site of a short-lived square with hotels and shops. The monastery cemetery was hidden under a thick layer of asphalt. Researchers discovered it in the mid-1990s, when a shopping center began to be built under Manezhnaya Square.
About 600 graves, as well as luxurious monastic vestments embroidered with gold and silver, were found at the excavation site. Now, on Manezhnaya Square, near the walls of the Kremlin, there are places popular with tourists: the Manege exhibition hall, the Okhotny Ryad shopping center, and fountains that save you from the summer heat. Nearby are the five-star hotel “National”, a restaurant of Russian cuisine by Alexander Rappoport “Dr. Zhivago.
View of the fountains near the Manezh and Manege Square.
LCD “Triumph Palace”, located in Chapaevsky Lane, was built in the style of Stalin's skyscrapers of the 1950s. Continuing the history of the Stalinist style, elite houses in this area attract citizens with views of the city center and parks in the vicinity of Sandy Streets. src=”/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/7e9409e7cae16ec1a863ac9a8ad8d917.jpg” width=”728″ height=”546″ class=”lazy-image__image _align-center” data-v-64ca9b5a=”1″ alt=” Elite houses in Moscow built on the site of cemeteries” />LC “Triumph” on Sokol.
The modern skyscraper was built next to Chapaevsky Park on the site of the unfinished Pilots' Palace of Culture, which was started by the Soviet pilot Vasily Stalin, son of Joseph Stalin. In the 1950s, on the foundation of the palace, children sledded in winter, and played Cossack robbers in summer. And during the First World War, there was a cemetery on the site of modern houses – the heroes of the Brusilovsky breakthrough were buried there. There are also versions according to which there were burials of pilots who died on the Khodynka field and victims of the Red Terror at this place. Later, the cemetery was leveled.
Now this place is occupied by the Triumph Palace residential complex, 57 floors high, inside there are apartments with panoramic windows and private terraces.
A 10-minute walk from the Avtozavodskaya metro station used to be the cemetery of the Simonov Monastery. In its place, the Palace of Culture and other facilities of the ZIL enterprise, which are now popular among Moscow youth, were built. Visitors to the ZIL Cultural Center are unlikely to be aware of the existence of a whole cemetery on this site.ZIL Cultural Center.
The Simonov Monastery is still in Moscow, located on the territory of the modern Danilovsky district. The temple was founded in the 16th century, soon a graveyard was organized under it. The cemetery at the Simonovsky Monastery was demolished in the 1930s, and the church was left as a cultural monument. Elements of the necropolis can still be seen near the preserved Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. There are also tombstones that were previously used as a curbstone. 2022/06/93a2db1537771226ce73308942a3355c.jpg” width=”644″ height=”483″ class=”lazy-image__image _align-center” data-v-64ca9b5a=”1″ alt=”Elite Moscow houses built on the site of cemeteries”/>View of the Simonov Monastery before the revolution of 1917.
Many representatives of the Russian nobility are buried under the ZIL buildings: the Muravyovs, the Naryshkins, the Tatishchevs, the Shakhovskys. The families of famous writers and poets were also buried at the cemetery of the Simonovsky Monastery. For example, many relatives of Alexander Pushkin rested in this necropolis. /06/199bf27db43c3776e1e135e0e9ee53e9.jpg” width=”728″ height=”546″ class=”lazy-image__image _align-center” data-v-64ca9b5a=”1″ alt=”Elite Moscow houses built on the site of cemeteries” /> Necropolis of the Simonov Monastery.