When asked by Sky’s Martha Kelner whether Maguire was still a free man, his lawyer replied: “Right now, yes.”
Harry Maguire has denied charges of assault and attempted bribery during his court appearance in Greece, after spending two nights in a police cell over an alleged brawl.
Manchester United said in a statement: “Following the appearance in court today we note the adjournment of the case to allow the legal team to consider the case file.
“Harry has pleaded not guilty to the charges. It would be inappropriate for the player or club to comment further while the legal process takes its course.”
When asked by Sky’s Martha Kelner afterwards whether Maguire was still a free man, his lawyer replied: “Right now, yes.”
However, he replied “no comment” when she asked him if the 27-year-old defender was free to return to England.
The England footballer was arrested following an alleged fight on the island of Mykonos on Thursday night, along with two other Britons.
Police said there had been an altercation and an exchange of words with an officer who tried to break up the fight.
According to the Associated Press, the prosecutor’s office said the three defendants were charged with assault and battery.
Maguire and another defendant are also accused of assaulting a policeman and attempted bribery.
The case was adjourned until Tuesday, and all three are not obliged to attend the trial and are free to return home.
Maguire, who was in court for about an hour, said nothing as he left the building in Syros on Saturday, flanked by several people including his lawyer.
Speaking from the scene, Martha Kelner said: “Unfortunately the only people who know what happened in that courtroom are Harry Maguire, the two people he was co-defendants with, and of course the prosecutor and his defence lawyer.
“The legal system here is rather opaque. These hearings are not open. Journalists are not allowed in.
“As a consequence of that, the details of what went on inside there and what the eventual resolution was, if there was any resolution, is still unclear.
“It seems there may have been an agreement, according to Greek media reports – that Harry Maguire returns to the island of Mykonos, which is around a 50-minute boat ride from here, to apologise for what took place there on Thursday night in order for him to return to England.”
A statement released by the Hellenic Police’s South Aegean region press office on Friday afternoon read: “Patrolling police officers in the area of Mykonos intervened and normalised a dispute between citizens.
“However, three foreigners involved in the incident turned against them, insulting and hitting a police officer with fists.
“The three foreigners were taken to the Mykonos police station, where upon their arrival they strongly resisted, pushing and beating three police officers.
“One of the detainees then tried to offer money so that the trial against them would not be completed. The arrested (men) were taken to the Syros Prosecutor’s Office.”
Maguire’s fiancee, Fern Hawkins, posted a picture of the pair in Mykonos on her Instagram page on Thursday night.
The couple have two baby daughters, the youngest of which was born in May, and were also joined on the holiday by his brothers and sister.
Maguire became the world’s most expensive defender following his £80m move last summer from Leicester.
Along with the rest of United’s squad, he had been given two weeks off – ahead of the club’s next competitive fixture on 19 September, when they are due to open their 2020/21 Premier League campaign against Crystal Palace.