A branch of the Roman Museum of Contemporary Art MAXXI L'Aquila has opened in L'Aquila. earthquakes in 2009. The building was renovated with financial support from Russia
Palazzo Ardinghelli after the devastating earthquake in L'Aquila on April 6, 2009 .
On April 6, 2009 in the Italian city of L'Aquila there was a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 6.3, which became the most destructive in Italy over the past 30 years. It left 29 thousand people homeless, about 15 thousand buildings were destroyed. Palazzo Ardinghelli was one of the monuments of Baroque architecture that suffered greatly from the disaster.
It stands in the very center of L'Aquila, a stone's throw from the Luminosa Fountain & nbsp; – the main symbol of the city, and is a striking example of Italian Baroque architecture. The building was designed between 1732 and 1743 by the Roman architect Francesco Fontana, son of the more famous architect Carlo Fontana. It is remarkable for its courtyard with a monumental staircase painted by Venetian artist Vincenzo Damini in 1749.
An earthquake caused massive damage to the building. Funds for its restoration in the amount of more than 7 million euros were allocated by the Russian government. The restoration began in 2014. And in 2015, the Italian authorities decided to give Palazzo Ardinghelli to a branch of the Roman Museum of Contemporary Art MAXXI. In its new capacity, the building opened to the public in September 2020, and the official ceremony, postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, took place on May 28, 2021.
This is how his interiors look now: