House-egg, house-elephant, house-locomotive and other most unusual capital buildings in our selection
The content of the article:
- 1 House- ship
- 2 Hive house
- 3 House on legs
- 4 House -elephant
- 5 Steam locomotive house
- 6 House-egg
- 7 Donut House
St. Bolshaya Tulskaya, 2
This 14-storey residential building is popularly called the “ship-house” or “Titanic”. Built in 1981 in the brutalist style, this panel building stood out against the background of the old low-rise buildings in the area. With its impressive dimensions (400 m long and more than 50 m high), as well as the upper rows of glazed balconies, it looked like a cruise ship. By the way, there are two-story apartments on the upper floors, which were conceived as elite housing.
The construction was carried out by order of the USSR Ministry of Atomic Industry. Hence – another name for this Moscow house – “House of Atomic Engineers”, as well as the unique strength of concrete walls, which is not inferior to Soviet nuclear reactors.
Krivoarbatskiy lane, 6
The house-workshop of the architect Konstantin Melnikov is called the “icon of constructivism” and is compared with the Kizhi and St. Basil's Cathedral in terms of significance for Russian culture. In 1927, the brilliant architect designed a “eight” of cylinders cut into each other, creating in the center of Moscow not just a dwelling house for himself and his family, but a space that has never existed in the world. The house, built without supporting pillars and beams, survived the explosion of a high-explosive bomb, was rebuilt after the war and entered all architecture textbooks.
For its simplicity and economy, it began to be called a hive house. Today (after long litigation and litigation) the famous Melnikov house is open to the public: daily excursions are organized here (one group a day no more than five people). Guests are introduced to the architectural features of the monument, are shown branded hexagonal windows, a bedroom with Venetian plaster and a folding “centipede”, behind which the family of the world famous architect gathered. Tickets can be purchased on the website of the Museum of Architecture. A. V. Shchuseva.
House on legs
St. Running, 34
This house was built in 1978 by the architect Andrei Meerson as an experimental one. The main feature of the structure & nbsp; – twenty pairs of reinforced concrete “legs” -supports, thanks to which the house was popularly nicknamed “house on legs”, “house-centipede”, “house-octopus” and “hut on chicken legs”. These supports taper downward, which creates the effect of “unreliability” of the structure. The house itself seems to expand upward & nbsp; – each next of the 13 floors overlaps the lower one. The main accents on the facade are three smoke-free oval stairwells.
During the development of the project, Andrei Meerson was inspired by the ideas of Le Corbusier: as a result, his “House on Legs” with its proportions and beveled supports resembles the Marseilles “Residential Unit”. Initially, the house was conceived as a hotel for the participants of the 1980 Summer Olympic Games in Moscow, and as a result, the apartments in the new building were given to the honored workers of the Znamya Truda plant, which produced the Il-12, Il-14 and Il-18 planes. Hence its other name & nbsp; – “House of Aviators”.
This is not the only “house on legs” in Moscow: similar ones can be seen at the addresses: Prospekt Mira, 184/2 (opposite the monument “Worker and Kolkhoz Woman” ), Smolensky Boulevard, 6/8, commune house on Ordzhonikidze Street, 8/9.
D. Ostrovtsy, 14th km of Novoryazansky highway
Very close to Moscow, in the village of Ostrovtsy (Ramensky District), a very unusual house has attracted the attention of all passing by for several years. The building is built in the shape of an Indian elephant in a bright red blanket, decorated with small diamond-shaped windows and painted with rich colors. Inside there are four floors connected by a spiral staircase. The author and owner of the house, Alexei Sorokin, is looking for buyers: “This is a huge domed room where you can embody any design fantasy. No walls, no support beams – nothing limits you. ”
Steam locomotive house
Novaya Basmannaya, 2/1, p. 1
Looking at this constructivist building resembling a steam locomotive, it is hard to believe that its walls remember Napoleon. In the 17th century, the Tsar Zhitny or Zapasny Dvor was located here – warehouses where grain and food supplies were stored. According to some reports, ice for the basements of this palace was delivered from St. Petersburg itself. In the 1750s – 1760s, a complex in the form of a square of four long two-storey buildings was built here. The spare palace & nbsp; is almost the only one of the government buildings in the capital that survived the fire of 1812.
In the twentieth century, the Reserve Palace changed owners more than once and was rebuilt. In the 1900s, the building housed the Alexander III Institute for Noble Maidens: according to the project of architects N.V. Nikitin and A.F. Meissner, a third floor was added. After the revolution, the building was occupied by the People's Commissariat of Railways. In 1932-1933, the appearance of the building changed radically. Architect I.A. Fomin gave the Reserve Palace constructivist features: two more floors were built on, the facades were leveled, the shapes of the window openings were changed, and at the corner of Novaya Basmannaya and Sadovaya-Chernogryazskaya streets, a nine-story clock tower rose up, because of which the house was nicknamed the House with a Chimney “.
st. Mashkova, 1
Mashkova Street, located not far from the Chistye Prudy metro station, has long been famous for its tenement houses and Art Nouveau buildings, the peak of their construction at the beginning of the 20th century. But despite this, today this street is better known for its modern construction, namely the egg house.
The egg house appeared in 2002 and has become not only a tourist attraction, but also a symbol of all Luzhkov architecture. The egg house project was created by the architect Sergei Tkachenko for a maternity hospital in Bethlehem, but this idea was abandoned there. As a result, the egg house was erected on Mashkov Street as an extension to a new multi-storey building. The house has 4 floors and 5 rooms. On the ground floor there is an entrance hall, a hall and a sauna. On the second & nbsp; – a kitchen with a dining room, a servants' room and a bathroom. On the third & nbsp; – living room. On the fourth & nbsp; – a domed room.
st. Nezhinskaya, 13/st. Dovzhenko 6
“House-bagel” & nbsp; – the first round house in Moscow. It was built in 1972 in the Ochakovo-Matveevskoye area in the west of Moscow on the eve of the 1980 Olympics. The unusual shape of the house was developed by architect Yevgeny Stamo and engineer Alexander Markelov. For construction, standard panels were used, which, in order to close the ring, were placed at an angle of permissible error of 6 degrees. That is why the buildings turned out to be quite impressive. Finding the one you need from 26 entrances is not so easy.
According to the architects' idea, an Olympic village in the form of five ring houses was to appear in Moscow. However, this project proved to be costly and only two houses were built in the end. Moreover, the twin brother of the first “donut house” appeared only seven years later, in 1979, a year before the Olympics-80 in the west of the capital – in the Ramenki area. At one time, prominent theater and film actors lived in the house on Nezhinskaya – Honored Artist of the RSFSR Savely Kramarov and Honored Artist of Russia Galina Belyaeva, as well as film director, screenwriter and poet Emil Loteanu.