Vienna attack live updates: No evidence of second gunman, minister says

0

  –  
Copyright 
Ronald Zak/Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Four people were killed and dozens injured after a gunman brought havoc to the streets of the Austrian capital of Vienna on Monday night, just hours before the start of a coronavirus lockdown.

Authorities initially feared that several gunmen had taken part in the attack but Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told reporters on Tuesday afternoon that evidence gathered thus far shows no indication that there was a second attacker.

The gunman was killed but several others were believed to be on the run, sparking a city-wide manhunt and prompting authorities to warn residents to stay in their homes.

The attacks came as Viennese were out in restaurants and bars enjoying the last night before the beginning of a partial lockdown to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Euronews has the full story on the attacks here and you can follow below for live updates.

19:37We’re now bringing our live blog to a close. Thank you for joining us as we brought you all the latest developments from Vienna following last night’s terror attack.

Here are the main details so far:

    ​Five people – four victims and the attacker – were killed in the attack in the Austrian capital;Some 22 others were injured, some “seriously,” including a police officer;Chancellor Sebastian Kurz confirmed this morning that the incident was an “Islamist terror attack”;The suspect was identified as Kujtim Fejzulai, a 22-year-old dual Austrian-North Macedonian national who had tried to enter Syria to join Islamic State in 2019;Police have arrested 14 people in connection with the attack, according to Austria’s Interior Minister.

For all the latest information, you can read our full report here.17:40One of the four people killed in Monday’s attack was a German national, Heiko Maas has confirmed on Twitter.The German Foreign Minister also expressed his condolences to the families and friends of all the victims.”With the people in Vienna and Austria, we share the grief for the victims, but also the determination to counter fanaticism and terror with all our might,” he added.

16:44″Hatred can never be as strong as our community in freedom, in democracy, in tolerance, and in love,” Austrian President Alexander Van Der Bellen said during an address the nation.”The attack was obviously aimed at everyone who values life in a free society.”We will not let this hatred infect us. We will protect ourself and our values,” he added.He also praised law enforcement officers and emergency workers “who give their utmost in times of great stress” and thanked the international community “that stands united and in solidarity with Austria in the difficult hours.”15:40The suspect was identified as Kujtim Fejzulai, authorities have said.He had previously served time in prison following an April 2019 conviction for an attempt to travel to Syria to join the so-called Islamic State.He was granted early release from his 22-month jail term in December under juvenile law. 
 15:21Vienna Police said in an update that 22 people were injured, some “seriously”. They also said that an officer wounded in the attack has had surgery and is now “out of danger”.

15:13Pope Francis has called for “peace and fraternity” to be strengthened following the attack in Vienna.”I express my sorrow and dismay for the terrorist attack in Vienna, and I pray for the victims and their families. Enough violence!,” he wrote on Twitter.

14:48Austria’s Interior Minister Karl Nehammer has revealed that 14 people have been arrested over the attack.He added that evidence gathered so far shows no indication that there was a second attacker.14:40A minute of silence has been held across Austria in honour of the victims of Monday’s attack.Chancellor Sebastian Kurz and President Alexander Van Der Bellen have also laid a wreath at one of the scenes of the attack.

 13:50Luigi di Maio, Italy’s foreign minister, has called for a “European Patriot Act” in response to the recent terror attacks in Austria and France.In a Facebook post, Di Maio called for tighter checks in mosques and increased surveillance of “illegal migration.””Defending our borders is the duty of every state, as well as a right. The right of every citizen to feel safe in their own home. We have an obligation to guarantee its right,” he wrote.”We reiterate our proximity to the Austrian and French people in this great moment of pain.”Let’s stand united against all forms of terrorism and bigotry,” he added.13:35The Russian embassy in Vienna is flying its flag at half-mast today to express solidarity with the Austrian people.

Source

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.